My Study In AUSTRALIA ApplIcation Process

planning Phase

What education type are you interested in?

You can choose to study at either a

· Schools

· English Language Training

· Foundation Studies

· Vocational education and training

· University

· Internship /Traineeship

· Au Pair

· Work and Study option

It is very easy to move from one type of institution to the other as they are linked.

You can talk with your International Education Agency – Australia office in your country or directly in Australian to discuss with your My Study in Australia counsellors to ensure that you make the best decision regarding which institution to choose.

What fields of study are you interested in?

There are many fields to choose from when you study in Australia, some of them include agriculture, business, economics, education, environmental science, engineering, health sciences, humanities and social sciences, information technology, law, mathematics and computing, medicine, science and visual/performing arts.

Vocational education and training institutions offer practical, career oriented courses including business, computing, marketing, tourism and hospitality.

Australian schools offer an education style that is very interactive and attempts to give students the necessary qualities to enter the workforce, including confidence All schools offer English, mathematics, science, arts, technology and languages. You may also be able to study such diverse subjects as digital media, agriculture, graphic design, music and accountancy.

Australia offers a range of English language studies that can cater for everyone from beginner student to advanced student to teacher training.

What level of qualification is best suited for you?

The Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) is a national structure covering 13 different qualifications linking the four education sectors and providing learning pathways and recognition for previous study

Many institutions offer preparatory studies, otherwise known as bridging or foundation courses, to help meet the academic entry requirements of Australian institutions. There are also many English language courses with starting dates throughout the year to prepare you for further study in Australia.

Do you have a preferred location?

You may choose to live in either urban areas, or rural areas.

Financial considerations

The majority of international students are full-fee paying. You need to consider whether you can afford to study at your chosen institution. For example, science and medical courses are often more expensive than arts subjects. To be granted a student visa you will need to show that you have sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses.

You will only be permitted to work a limited number of hours. Therefore you should not expect your earnings to cover all of your study costs but that may help with your living costs.

Do you have any personal considerations?

Course selection PHASE

Selecting a course

There are many different courses to choose from, nearly anything you can imagine. You should speak to your agency to make the best choice.

By law, all Australian institutions and the courses they offer to international students must be accredited and registered by the Australian Government.

Do you meet the entry requirements for the selected course?

When you study in Australia you must meet specific requirements to be granted the right to study at that institution. Each institution sets its own entry requirements so they may vary from one institution to another, and from one course or faculty to another. Some courses also require relevant work experience and this may be particularly important in relation to MBA and other postgraduate studies.

You may need to show your academic achievements and English language proficiency for some course.

If you do not meet the entry requirements for further study you can enrol in secondary school in Australia. If you do not meet undergraduate course entry requirements you may be able to enrol in Foundation Studies which prepare you for further study in Australia and reserve a provisional place in your proposed course. Bridging courses, such as a Master Qualifying program, are also offered. It is recommended that you speak to your agency to determine whether you qualify for study.

Do you meet the English language requirements?

You will need to show varying levels of English proficiency to study in Australia. You can enrol in a English language course to meet necessary requirements or you can apply English + Academic Course in an sandwich course application.

Applying for admission PHASE

Obtaining application forms

You can obtain an application form your My Study in Australian student counsellor in your country or directly from International Education Agency-Australia Sydney Office.


Your My Study in Australian student counsellor will confirm with you what sort of documents relevant to your application. This will typically include:

· full details of previous study, including copies of qualifications already awarded to you

· evidence of your English language proficiency (for undergraduate and postgraduate studies, and vocational education and training)

· evidence of your Financial capabilities according to your country assessment level

Then My Study in Australian student counsellor will submit the application form that you signed. If you are successful, My Study in Australian student counsellor will send you a letter of offer.

Depending on your country of nationality and the education sector of your study you may be required to undergo a pre-visa assessment before the institution issues an Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).

My Study in Australian student counsellor will confirm when to apply for your Student visa and when you need to make payment to get Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) letter. The CoE is the only accepted evidence of enrolment for processing student visa applications.

My Study in Australian student counsellor will advise you of its requirements but generally it will require payment of at least one semester of course fees.

Applying for a visa PHASE

Obtaining information on visas

International students need to have a valid student visa for the duration of their studies. You can only be issued with a student visa for study in Australia if you seek to undertake a full-time course that is accredited and registered by the Australian Government.

Where can I get the visa application forms?

My Study in Australian student counsellor can help you with this step.

Where can I get help with filling out a visa application?

My Study in Australian student counsellor can help with this step.

Where do I submit the visa application?

My Study in Australian student counsellor can help with this step.

Obtaining medical insurance

To study in Australia you must show that your have health insurance. Australia has a competitive medical insurance system. In many cases you can pay the compulsory medical insurance (Overseas Student Health Cover, or OSHC for short) premium to the education institution which will pay the health insurer on your behalf. My Study in Australian student counsellor can help with this step.

Receiving your visa

You will only receive your visa with full-time study. If your application is successful you will be issued with a Multiple Entry Visa allowing you to travel backwards and forwards to Australia within the period for which the visa has been granted. That period will depend on the course for which you have been accepted. Your visa can be cancelled if you discontinue your studies or fail to meet the conditions of your visa.

Pre-departure PHASE

Institution admission notice and information package

My Study in Australian student counsellor will send you a confirmation of enrolment and an information package. This package is very important because it contains information on your selected course, your accommodation options and important events that you should attend during the first weeks of study.

It will include other useful information about the city, climate, information about local customs, shopping facilities, accommodation, transport, banking, mail and telephone services, the estimated cost of living and the amount of money you should bring with you when you first arrive, arrangements for your welcome and settling-in period and the date by which you are expected to arrive.

Be sure to contact your My Study in Australian student counsellor if you don’t receive this material before leaving your country.

Arranging finances, transport and accommodation

You must make arrangements to purchase your own air travel tickets. It is a good idea to arrange temporary ( at least 4 weeks) or permanent accommodation before you arrive. My Study in Australian student counsellor can help with this step.

You should also exchange some money for Australian Dollars.

Australian quarantine requirements

Quarantine is important as it ensures the safety of Australia’s unique eco-system. Before your study in Australia you should visit the AQIS website for information in a range of foreign languages on what you cannot bring into Australia and what your family and friends at home cannot send to you through the mail. Also, gifts sent to you from outside Australia should not be packed in cases that have contained fruit, vegetables or timber.

Arrival and reception PHASE

On-arrival reception

If you have made prior arrangements, My Study in Australian student counsellor will send someone to meet you at the airport and take you to your accommodation. The transport system is also very convenient.


You will receive orientation at your institution by the international officer. They will introduce you to the institution’s rules and regulations and help you decide on your timetable. It is important to be in Australia before your Institutions’ Orientation day. Please review the information sent by your My Study in Australian student counsellor on acceptance and orientation day.

Assistance with accommodation

My Study in Australian student counsellor can help with locating accommodation. International Education Agency-Australia recommend that you must arrange temporary accommodation at least for 4 weeks before you arrive.

After your arrival, you can also check Institution’s noticeboards for other students looking for people to share units or houses. Local newspapers run ads for accommodation vacant, particularly in Saturday and mid-week editions. All students under 18 years of age must have their accommodation approved by their institution.

It is an Australian Government requirement that students notify their education institution of their address in Australia within seven days of arrival, and notify their education institution of any change of address within seven days.

When you arrive

Can I change my course or institution?

Usually You must stay with the institution for 12 months (or for the duration of the course if it is for less than 12 months).

After this duration you can change your course but before you do so you must apply to DIAC to change education provider. My Study in Australian student counsellor can help with this step. There is an application charge except when a student changes courses because the institution is unable to continue providing the course.

Friendly reminder

You must comply with student visa requirements otherwise your visa can be cancelled.

During your studies, you can leave Australia and re-enter if you hold a valid visa. Otherwise you will need to reapply, pay the charge and meet the current visa requirements.

Your student visa is not valid for permanent residence in Australia or for residence after you have completed your studies. You must leave Australia at the end of your studies.

If you wish to enrol in a new course you need to apply for a new student visa before your current visa expires. If your current student visa has a ‘no further stay’ condition you may not be granted a new student visa while you are in Australia.

The Australian Government skilled migration program targets young people who have skills, an education and outstanding abilities that will contribute to the Australian economy.

Regular changes were made to the skilled migration program in July 2003. For information on these changes check the DIAC website. Eligible students can apply onshore for certain permanent and temporary visas.

If you wish to migrate to Australia, My Study in Australian student counsellor can help with this step to find out the migration requirements through qualified Partner Migration Agents.

The Application Process

Although the application process may change from person to person according to his/her individual circumstances and the country of origin, the following is the common procedure is given as a guideline for students from Assessment Level 3 countries, applying from outside Australia to study in formal courses of over 3 months.

My Study in Australian student counsellor will consider the most appropriate steps according to your country and individual situation..


As a prospective student, if you are seriously considering studying in Australia, an International Education Agency – Australia (IEA-A) counsellor in your country or in Australia can assist you through each step of the application process.

In order to finding the right institution that offers the course most suited to your particular needs and aspirations please complete our Inquiry Form on line or download pdf copy of this form and filled with your local student counselor email or fax to us.

Remember, this My Study in Australia service is completely FREE OF CHARGE and places you under no obligation, and is designed to help you to choose the right combination of course and educational institutions.


My Study in Australian student counsellor will contact you and start collecting the required information to help you make the right choice of Institution and course according to our Choosing the Right Institution process. This will by email, fax, telephone or a personal meeting.

Then your student counsellor will provide a short-list of the educational institutions that are most suitable for you. If you have any questions, ask My Study in Australian student counsellor to give you more information.


Your personal education counsellor will send you the application form of the educational institutions and course that you have been determined to be qualified to enter.

Complete the application form / authorize us to complete it for you, and send certified copies of relevant documents to My Study in Australian student counsellor.


Your My Study in Australia counsellor will ensure that your application is in order and meets the entry criteria for the desired course, and forward it to the institution with a covering letter explaining your situation.

Your My Study in Australia counsellor will follow-up until a Confirmation of Offer letter is received and forwarded it on to you.


According to Assessment level of your country, you may need the Confirmation of Offer form to apply for a Pre-Visa Assessment (PVA), the first stage in the application process for a Student Visa for students form assessment level 3, 4 and 5 countries.

Your My Study in Australia counsellor will assist you in lodging the application for a student visa. Additionally your personal counsellor can help you to translate your documents and complete your visa application form.

In some countries such as India, your My Study in Australia counsellor may offer you e-visa application to speed up your visa application process. This service usually requires some additional fee.


The Australian Embassy will assess your application and let you know if you meet the criteria for a Student Visa. Your My Study in Australia counsellor will assist you through the visa application process.


If the visa assessment is successful, you can then pay the required tuition and other fees, as shown on the ‘Offer of Place’.

Your My Study in Australia counsellor will explain to you how to make the payment for tuition fees. This can be done by either sending a bank draft made out to the institution, to International Education Agency – Australia (IEA-A), or through an electronic transfer to our IEA-A account, depending on the urgency.


International Education Agency – Australia (IEA-A) will send your bank draft to Institutions and forward your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) form to you. The CoE must be sent to the Embassy, so your visa can be processed.

The Department of Immigration here will also forward an electronic copy to your nearest Australian diplomatic post.


When your visa is granted, your counsellor will help you to arrange for accommodation, airport pick-up and other services as required according to the Required Services Form.

Although International Education Agency – Australia (IEA-A) services are free of charge to arrange these services for your, a service fee applies for these services such as accommodation arrangement, on arrival – reception, etc. by the actual service providers.


If visa application is refused, your counsellor will assist in seeking a refund for the tuition fees paid to institutions and refund any service fees in accordance with the Agreement.

Leave a Reply