Australian Student Visa

Australia’s overseas student program allows foreign students to complete their studies in Australia at a variety of levels. Australian Student Visa is for students who wish to pursue their studies in Australia. There are student visas for students who wish to learn English, student visa for students who wish to take short courses that range from 3 months to a year, and there is also a visa for students who wish to pursue bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, or Ph.D. degrees.

These levels include:

  • Higher Education such as Bachelor and Associate Degrees, Graduate Certificates, Graduate Diploma, Higher Education Diploma to name just a few
  • Vocational Education and Training such as: Certificate I, II, III, IV, VET Diploma, VET Advanced Diploma and more
  • Primary and secondary school course
  • Postgraduate courses
  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)

If you are below the age of 18 or you need care and support, the subclass 590 Visa allows your relative to apply and stay with you as a guardian.

If you later graduate as an international student, you may apply for the subclass 485 Visa to live, study and work after completing your studies. You must apply for this visa in Australia and hold an eligible visa at the time of application.

Living expenses and tuition costs are quite low in Australia compared to other countries. Many student visas will allow you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight.

The visa types that you can apply


If you want to study in Australia, subclass 500 Visa enables you to study an eligible course. You can apply for this visa onshore or offshore.


If you want to provide care and support for a student visa holder below the age of 18, subclass 590 Visa allows you to stay with the student as a parent or a guardian


If you have graduated as an international student, subclass 485 Visa allows you to live, study and work after completing your studies. You must apply for this visa in Australia and hold an eligible visa at the time of application

How it works

Before you apply for a student visa, you must first apply for the school of your choice and you must have the necessary paper work ready. Most of the time, show money will be required by the consul because they need to know that you will be able to support yourself while you are studying although students are allowed 20 hours of work per week.

When calculating the cost you will need to show the consul, you need to factor in the cost of your course, the cost of insurance (this is a must!) cost of daily living expenses etc. if you are bringing a spouse or kids, the amount goes up and the young ones will also need to go to school if they are over 5 years of age. Aside from the above mentioned factors, you will also need to factor in the cost of transportation even if you will live near the school.

Again, the 20 hours per week is always there to provide you with extra spending money and in certain situations (Master’s and PHD) your spouse can work full time  but as for the student, the 20 hours is so you can experience more of Australian culture and it should not be your bread and butter.


To be granted a Student Visa you must meet the following requirements


International students must be enrolled in a course that is registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) unless they are exempt.

Students applying from outside Australia must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) letter with their visa application for each course they intend to study.


Students must demonstrate Functional English to be eligible to apply for a Student Visa in Australia unless they are exempt.

Students will not need to provide evidence of an english test score with their visa application if any of the following apply:

  • the applicant is enrolled full-time in one of the following courses: a secondary exchange programme, a postgraduate research course, a standalone
  • English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS), and Foreign Affairs or Defence sponsored students
  • the applicant has completed five or more years’ study in one of the following countries: Australia, UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland
  • the applicant must hold a passport from UK, USA, Canada, NZ or Republic of Ireland


International students must have enough money available to them, to pay for their course fees, and all travel and living costs for them and any accompanying family members while in Australia. Students may need to provide evidence of these funds with heir visa application.


International students and all accompanying family members must have adequate health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia.


If your student visa application has been refused, usually you will get 21 days to lodge an appeal.

  • If you are in Australia, you may stay in Australia on a bridging visa during the appeal process.
  • If you are outside Australia, you may be able to apply for the same or another type of visa.

If you find yourself in this situation we suggest  it is important to get a professional assistance of an immigration lawyer or a registered migration agent. International Education Agency – Australia  specialises in immigration law and Australian Education System, IEAA can help with your matter, so please contact our lawyers or book a free consultation.

Why choose International Education Agency – Australia for a student visa?

IEAA specialises in Australian EDUCATION System and Australian immigration law and has experienced legal professionals and resources required to provide you with the guidance and representation that is needed to ensure you reach your immigration goals.

The team at International Education Agency – Australia  is approachable and committed to providing a personalised service, so please book a meeting online or call us on 9232 7055 or write us on .

How Can I Apply for a student visa?

  • Assess your eligibility with International Education Agency – Australia to ensure you meet the visa requirements
  • Gather your documents for the visa application using our comprehensive and tailored checklist of documents
  • Lodge your Application and ensure post-lodgement requirements are arranged such as completion of medical examinations
  • Wait for a decision

Whether you are currently studying in Australia or you would like to come to Australia, International Education Agency – Australia  can assist you to

  • provide advice about eligibility for your visa application
  • provide advice about the supporting documents required for your application
  • prepare your visa application

communicate with the Department of Home Affairs until a decision on your visa is made